Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Special Needs - Wilmette man learns from daughter with Down syndrome

Please read this loving article featured in this week's Wimette Beacon. A perfect example of a loving family who have a child with special needs and are doing what they can in terms of support not only her but the countless others with this syndrome.

Once you discover you have a child with needs it is unbelievable on many levels. One of the true benefits is when you meet and work with other families, organizations, therapists and schools. I've discovered through my journey alone that there are many, many gems out there waiting to be found. People that work with special needs children are amazing. Wilmette schools has been a true blessing and I'm incredibly grateful my daughter is here.

I truly believe it takes a special heart to want to reach out and educate others in how to work with disabled individuals. I applaud Patrick Crawford, Marjorie Beto and my own dear sister Wendi Unrein and her dear daughter Jenny for doing what they do in helping educate others from their hearts. Some of you know how I feel about Temple Grandin and Carly Fleishman who are trailblazers in helping us understand the complexities of their needs. That said, I love when I see articles like this one. I have to say, I know Katia Crawford and she is one special child who adores our family dog and has a heart and smile that always makes me happy. We can all learn from these special people.

Visit www.wilmettebeacon.com/Articles-c-2011-06-08-222818.114133-Wilmette-man-learns-from-daughter-with-Down-syndrome.html

No comments:

Post a Comment